In the framework defined by the EU legislation and the Partnership Agreement, the Marche Region has identified Integrated Territorial Investment ITI_Investimenti Territoriali Integrati as the most appropriate instrument to support integrated actions able to combine funding related to different thematic axes of the ROP ERDF 2014-20 funds able to maximize the impacts and spin-offs in urban areas.
Therefore, in 2016 the regional authority has launched a call for proposals addressed to the provincial capitals aimed at selecting 3 proposals for urban strategies that can be financed with a contribution equal to 80% of the total investment.
The Municipal Administration of Ancona, in line with the issues that emerged from the StrategicAncona2025 – Strategic Plan of the City, has identified in the ITI Waterfront programme of Ancona 3.0, the tool to implement a process of Urban Regeneration focused on the seafront of the historic port aimed at transforming Ancona from a city on the sea to a contemporary seaside city.
The strategy aims to build intersections of interests and coalitions of development that aim to achieve the following objectives:
- to induce a new sense of identity and belonging on the part of the community,
- intercepting the needs and planning of those subjects able to interpret contemporary social and economic dynamics,
- enhancing Ancona’s historical and cultural heritage in relation to the port and its relationship with the sea,
- to encourage collaboration networks between knowledge-intensive subjects operating in the territory for the development of innovative technologies applied to issues related to the sea, the port and the historical city,
- to experiment with concrete actions aimed at increasing urban quality in terms of environmental sustainability.
The ITI Waterfront activates a total investment of about € 7,700,000 and has seen the definition of an inter-institutional partnership involving the Municipality of Ancona, the Central Adriatic Sea Port System Authority, the Superintendence of Architectural Heritage, Landscape and Archaeology of the Marche Region and the CNR- Institute for Biological Research and Biotechnology.